Alice
Great she is crying I bet it is just to get James’ attention. Now he is holding her up, it’s like she can’t hold herself up.
Trevor
I hear the beeping all around me, my eyes will not open, I can’t move my arms or my legs. What happened to me? Why am I here? I hear the door creak open, and the world fades from me.
Mom
“Yes she will be leaving” I say to Mr. Brien “Thank you very much.”
Me
I can’t think, James arm is around me, giving me the strength that I don’t have. When did this happen? Do you need anything? How? Who? He keeps asking me all of these questions, and it distracts me from the present. Mom said that the accident happened Monday and it is now Wednesday. Why did I not hear of this earlier? Why now?
Dad
I’m in the hospital, I walk to his room. He is just laying there, what a baby! The thought occurs to me of how many times I put his sister in the hospital so many times when she was younger and she is just fine. I know that her life was hell cause of me, he needs to grow up. He had better get better or there will be hell to pay.
Jon
“I don’t care how much it costs” I scream.
“But sir I’m just saying the park closes in 30 minutes, and I will still have to charge you the full price, it may be a better deal to come back tomorrow” the idiot behind the counter says.
“I need to get in there now, my girlfriend is in there and her brother may die soon, I need to be there” I say almost crying.
“Yes sir” he hands me the tickets, I grab them and run through the throng of people. I listen for her, there are too many people.
Me
The world starts to close in on me. I can’t breathe. The lights start to blur. I know what’s happening but I can’t articulate it, my voice is stuck. The last thing I see is James’ face and hear Jon’s voice screaming Alysha. The blackness consumes me.
Jon
I see him James, the skinny shit, always flirting with Alysha. He has his arms around some girl, figures. The girl is wearing a shirt, the same one I made for Alysha with my handprints made into a heart. Its Alysha, I see her start to fall. Shit it’s her heart she can’t breathe she needs help.
“Alysha” I scream, just as she hits the ground.
James
“Lysha what’s wrong” I shout. She is on the ground and won’t answer me. Then I hear him, it’s Jon, her boyfriend. What is he doing here? He is running over to her first time I have ever seen him run. Next thing you know he will be on the ground next to her cause he won’t be able to breathe.
Jon
“Get away from her, she needs help” I shriek “she is going into cardiac arrest, did she just find out about Trevor?”
“Yes, what do we do?” the little shit asks. By now there is a crowd surrounding us. I yell for them to back up and call for help and I start CPR. I remember when the doctor taught me this, saying it could save her life. I have to. I can’t attend two funerals.
Help is here, they take put her on a gurney, and I follow her away. I climb in the ambulance and grip her hand more of a comfort to me than to her. The EMT’s start to work on her, I hear a gasp it’s her. Her eyes flutter open and she starts to choke. I smile and start to cry. Thank you God, she is alive.
Me
I can breathe and there is something down my throat making me choke. My eyes open. Jon he is here, sitting in the ambulance, wait the ambulance, why?
“Hi baby, it’s okay I’m here” he whispers almost like a lullaby. He strokes my face tucking a lose strand of hair behind my ear.
“What happened” I ask my voice a husky breath. He tells me the whole story. All I can think is why he is here.
“Why are you here babe?” I ask.
“Your mom told me about Trevor, I could not bear to think about you alone trying to handle the news.” He kisses my forehead. “After you are cleared from the hospital I will take you back to the hotel and then tomorrow we will head home, but sleep now baby.” With that I close my eyes and drift off into a tormented sleep.
Jon
She is okay; everything is going to be okay. The EMT’s keep telling me what happened, but I already know this had happened before. I watch her sleep; I love to watch her sleep. On the bus or in my truck she sleeps on my shoulder. She usually looks like a young carefree child with a faint smile on her face, but tonight I see the worry etched on her face. We pull into the hospital parking lot, she does not wake as they lift her, the drugs are powerful. I get her settled into the room and call a cab to go get my truck.
Trevor
I hear dad yelling at me, but I can’t answer in return.
“Your selfish brat, your sister will never forgive me for this,” he yells. Just his words make my insides turn to jelly, I must be brave Lysha dealt with this for years, and she was so much younger. I wonder what she is doing now, probably still in Florida, soaking up the sunshine, lucky her.
Mom
Jon just called Lyshy went into cardiac arrest and just got cleared from the hospital, they will be leaving soon. I guess I better call Jason to tell him they are on their way, I wish there was another way.
Me
I’m safely in Jon’s truck, my second favorite place, the first being his arms. I slide over to the middle and he carefully puts my luggage back next to me, then runs to the driver side and covers me with a blanket. I can’t help it I laugh, he is being ridiculous.
“Are you laughing at me baby” he cajoles.
“I sure am, honey” I respond. His eyes light with amusement.
“This is a long car ride, and I’m in control, watch yourself. He laughs and hugs me tightly, finally I’ve missed this. He lets go, but leaves one arm around me. I lie on his shoulder and once again drift off to sleep.
Jon
I love her so much, she is sleeping on me again, just having her close to me is the best. I text her mom to tell her that we are on our way and she is okay. Now I have to call her dad, this will be the first time I will meet him, and I could kill him for what he did to her. I dial his number and remember to stay quiet, she is trying to sleep.
“Hello” a gruff voice answers.
“Hi, this is Jon” I say my voice tight.
“Oh yes you, where are you, and is she with you” he states with no emotion.
“Yes she is with me, we are just leaving see you soon” I hang up before I start to yell. I pull her closer and start to cry, thinking of the hardships she has been through.
Dad
Just got off the phone with Jon, and finally they are on their way. I’m sitting in Trevor’s room waiting for him to stir. He better before Alysha gets here. A sound it’s him I jump up and yell for the nurse. He is awake, good now I will let him have it.
Trevor
I wake and of course dad is here. I wish he would leave.
“Well hi there Trevor” a man in a white coat exclaims.
“Hi” I mutter meekly. He does some tests to see how I am doing, and then he leaves the room, talking to the nurse. Her name is Jenny, she is very pretty.
“Well look who decides to wake up” dad says darkly. His eyes the color of storm clouds. Shit I’m in trouble.
“Hi dad” I say “what’s up?” I ask casually. Hoping to calm his mood.
“Don’t start ass-hole” he raises his hand and since I can’t move his hand hits my arm. The doctor never knew because of my other bruises from the accident. The tears burn my eyes, but I have to be strong.
Me
I wake up we are parked at Wal-Mart; my head on his shoulder his head on mine. I slowly move my head grab the blanket and cover him up. He looks so peaceful sleeping, like a gentle giant. I decide to call mom.
“Hi sweetie” mom answers.
“Hi, I’m just letting you know I am okay, Jon is sleeping and we will probably head out in an hour or so” I reply
“Okay, I love you sweetie” she says warmly.
“Love you too” I hang up. He stirs I still immediately, but he still wakes. He looks at me warily.
“How are you doing baby” he says.
“Good, how about you honey” I say.
“Great waking up next to you” he smiles.
“Great lets go get some breakfast” I say, and he agrees.
After breakfast we go on our way heading home. I turn on the radio, and our song comes on I start to sing, badly, then he joins in, his arm wraps around me a smile is splayed across his face.
Jon
She is doing better. She is singing our song and acting like a teenager wish that happened more often. I get caught up in her good mood and start to sing. She smiles and I know that smile it is real and she is happy. It may not be the right time, but I turn to her and say the one thing on my mind.
“I love you baby” she gasps and turns to me and throws her arms around me.
“I love you too” she cries. This moment will always be bitter sweet.
Trevor
Dad continues to hit me, either with words or fists, every time the doctor leaves the room. The doctor comes in and tells me that my sister is on her way and just called the hospital. What? The sun is now shinning I smile the most I have since I woke up.
Me
We pull up outside the hospital. This is it, I have tried to hide my emotions but now I can’t hold them in anymore. Jon parks and holds me as I cry every last tear in my body. When I called this evening the doctor says that it does not look good. He does not have long. Jon says its okay but I don’t know.
Trevor
The physiatrists says that I should write in a journal, how girly oh well why not?
I have been in the hospital for a while. Dad has been hitting me every day but the doctor thinks the bruises are from the accident. I know I don’t have long, I pretend to sleep and listen to the doctor. I have to wait for Lysha though. I love her so much and hate my dad for everything he ever did.
Trevor Blanchard
Me
Jon walks me to the third floor where Trevor is. He says that I can go in alone but I don’t think I can, I ask him to come too. He agrees and wraps his arm around my waist passing his strength to me.
I enter the room and there is Trevor bruised and bandaged. He smiles when I walk in. Dad is over in the corner sitting in a chair. Yelling on the phone, no doubt Terry, Trevor’s mom.
“Lysha” he says
“Trevor” I say running to him “how are you”
“I’m okay, who is this” he motions to Jon
“That’s Jon, my boyfriend” I say. We talk for a while. And dad finally leaves them room. Jon sits by the window talking every once in a while. Right before I leave for the night, he grabs my hand and reaches under his pillow. It’s a journal and he tells me to read it.
“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
― George Bernard Shaw
No comments:
Post a Comment